Monday, January 25, 2010

A Changing Year... Best Albums of 2009

Its almost February and I'm just now doing my favorite albums of 2009. Oh well. I came to the realization that most of my favorite albums this year saw the given band tweaking its original sound. Without further adieu... My favorite albums of 2009

5. The Spits- 3


I like this album so much because The Spits seem to realize what writing catchy and approachable punk music is all about. Old punks, and young ones, too, can't stop raving about this band.

PS, your mom fist pumps to this band.

4. Tegan and Sara- Sainthood


This is my new favorite Tegan and Sara album, simply because they are showing that they have the ability to take sounds created by bands like MGMT, and make you feel less bad for liking it.


3. Weekend Nachos- Unforgivable


While this is far from my favorite release from Weekend Nachos, the album is still awesome. WN has crossed from straight powerviolence into the realm of mixing powerviolence and punk. Listen closely and you'll hear the d-beat in a couple songs.

2. Hellshock- They Wait for You Still



I love the new Hellshock album simply because Hellshock is an amazing heavy band that blends the best elements of punk and metal. The new album simply captures that sound, but is even heavier.


1. Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon the End of the Day

Many people think that I only like Kid Cudi because he is from Cleveland. On the contrary, I like him because his beats are super dope, and he is an amazing lyricist (See "Soundtrack 2 My Life," where he says: I'm super paranoid/like a 6th sense/since my father died/I ain't been right since/and I tried to piece the puzzle of the universe/split an eighth of shrooms just so I could see the universe.) His collabo's with Ratatat didn't hurt his chances of topping the list either.


*The album that almost made it: Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest

No comments: