Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why isn't Michael Jackson answering my phone calls?!




I'll start off by saying this: I'm not one of those people who is going to sit here and claim that I was the biggest Michael Jackson fan (you know who you are), because I wasn't! I remember liking some of his music/dance moves as a kid (yes, I can moonwalk), I own a first pressing of 'Thriller,' on vinyl, I learned 'Beat It,' on guitar when I was 13, and I am able to see that he was obviously a very talented musician/dancer, but I think it's fucked up that since Jackson's death, everyone is suddenly emerging as a "closet," MJ fan! For instance, I was on Grooveshark.com (a better music site than Pandora, in my opinion) the other day, and when I clicked the popular button, nothing but Michael Jackson songs came up. I've been going to that site long enough to say that I never once saw any of his songs in the popular list until his untimely death. That's all I'm saying!




I remember a couple years ago I entered a contest for Rolling Stone, and it had hopeful music journalists come up with a famous musician to interview and to ask them a few questions, and I chose Michael Jackson, and these are the two questions I can remember hoping to ask!

1. Have you ever considered actually moonwalking on the moon?

2. With the recent allegations against you in the case of touching young boys, would you ever consider making a Children's album?

Anyways, people are skeptical about Michael Jackson's death, because in the video above, which is shot only two days before he died and in preparation for his upcoming This Is It! conerts, Jackson seems to be moving flawlessly, with the energy he is known for having. Whereas Randy Philips says MJ was frail and listless upon his death. I'm just curious if anyone thinks there was foul play involved in MJ's death? Or if anyone even cares?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if it was any other artist, i would say the sudden michael jackson fandom was a bit disingenuous, but the truth is everybody owned that thriller record, and everybody remembers him being a big part of their childhood... idk why when somebody dies people all of a sudden remember the significance of certain artists, but it tends to be that way no matter who it is. nostalgia is a powerful feeling, and this is everybody's inner child giving into it.

Stephen Tompkins said...

Amauris, I agree with you, and I appreciate your input. Michael Jackson had a huge impact on an endless amount of people, but my concern was, where were all of these people(not die hard MJ fans), but supposed "closet," MJ fans, when he was alive? It all feels so fake to me when Michael Jackson's name pops up on Google search results, and Grooveshark popular lists, etc. after he died, rather than when he was alive.